The municipality of Govone is in the Roero area, on the left side of the Tanaro river, in the province of Cuneo, on the border with the Monferrato and just the middle between Alba and Asti. Its castle dominates the whole valley.
What to see
The Royal Castle of Govone is one of the Savoy residences part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The palace is Baroque and surrounded by gardens and a wide English park, which was constructed at the behest of the counts Solaro and in was restored in the ’20 of 1800 by the Savoy. In 1870 the castle and its territories were sold to privates, but in 1897 the municipality of Govone bought them, selling the furniture. This precious monuments is a museum dedicated to the piedmontese life of the XIX century; it was one of the favourite residence of Carlo Felice. Currently it is the seat of the city hall and it hosts exhibitions and events.
The castle is surrounded by a XVIII century garden with hedges and driveways which lead to a central fountain and by an English park with plane trees and horse chestnuts. An ancient greenhouse in the centra of the park has recently been restored and hosts conventions and events. The park was created in three different moment: it was created by Carlo Felice and then it was enlarged after his death in 1883 at the behest of the widow Maria Cristina; the third time it was modified by Ferdinando duke of Genoa, in 1849. Govone is the most suitable place of the Roero area for the cultivation of tulips and for the flowering every year is held the event “Tulipani a corte”. In May 2003 opened the rose garden, it is just behind the Baroque church dedicated to the Holy Spirit, here you can admire many different types of roses, among those, many belong to ancient types and are very particular for their colours and perfumes. Near the castle walls you can see the house where Jean Jacques Rousseau lived during his stay in Govone.
Eat & Drink
- Tulipani a corte (Tulips in the court): March-April
- Il Magico Paese di Natale (Santa’s magic village): December