Guarene is located on the peak of a hill on the left side of the Tanaro river and its territory extends from the “Vaccheria” area, the most fertile, where are cultivated vegetables. It is one of the better conserved villages of the Roero.
The crossroad of Sant’Antonio is the most suggestive access to Guarene. The road from Castagnito becomes slowly an avenue which frames the castle, creating an union between the landscape and the architecture. The name of the crossroad is linked to the church which is located in one of the corners. Guarene has always been linked to the agriculture and the farmhouse on the left side of the road, which takes its name from the little chapel of Sant’Antonio, is the most important building of the area. It was bought by the Roero family (lords of Guarene) for their agricultural activities. on the façade is still possible to see the coat-of-arms of the family: three wagon wheels.
The church of San Rocco was located outside of the medieval walls and the entrance of the borough opened just in front of the current church, which today is used during the patronal feast on 16th August.
The word “paramuro” indicated a sort of aisle which divided the houses from the real walls during the Middle-Ages. This protection was useful to prevent landslides damages, typical of this area. Once they lost its defensive function, the “paramuro” became a good place for walking, in fact from here you can enjoy a beautiful view on Barbaresco with its tower and on the city of Alba.
The church of the Santissima Annunziata is the dearest building to the inhabitans of Guarene. This church too was located outside the walls, near the door of Val di Villa, on the road towards Alba. The church was built between 1699 and 1738 reflecting the Baroque style and from several years is being restored thanks to a collaboration with the Polytechnic of Turin. Piazza Roma is the centre of the life of the village, the city hall overlooks on this square. It was built in 1800 exactly in the place where once the grapes were crushed and let to ferment in the vats of the Roero family. Afterwards, in this place it was built a theater. Another important element of this square is palazzo Re Rebaudengo, it was the seat of the foundation Re Rebaudengo and then this eighteenth-century building has become the seat of the Contemporary Art Museum.
The church of San Michele is located in correspondence of one of the main crossroads and it is the most ancient religious building of the village, here it was signed the contract which gave Guarene to the Roero family. The church Santi Pietro and Bartolomeo was connected to the castle gardens through a covered passage called “voltone”, which lead counts and their guests to access their private seats in the church.
The castle is the symbol of the borough of Guarene. This massive building make Guarene immediately recognizable most than any other villages of the area. Originally it was a defense and protection building of the territory. Over the centuries and with geo-political changes, the castle lost its strategic function and it became a stately home. On the opposite side of the entrance gate there is a chapel dedicated to Santa Teresa, which was built according to a project by the architect Filippo Castelli di San Damiano. To manage the large structure and take care of the gardens, the Roero counts needed service buildings to house the castle’s dependents. Precisely for this reason, over the years they bought the nearby buildings, born as a settlement outside the walls. Beyond the walls, in the buildings that border the road that runs along the castle, were thus the stables, gardens, spinning and other addictions. In 1737 started the works for the construction of the Italian garden on two levels south of the castle, entrusted to the gardener of the castle of Govone. In 1899 Roero dynasty disappeared and the castle was inherited by the counts Provana of Collegno. In 2011 it was sold to new owners and currently, in addition to the museum area, it houses a luxury hotel and restaurant.
The Poggiolo is the vantage point par excellence of Guarene from which you have an excellent view both on a part of the village and on the surrounding territory of the Langhe. The gaze can range from the castle gardens to the Santissima Annunziata church; from the road that leads to Alba, recognisable from the chapel of the Madonna delle Grazie, to the last buttresses of the Roero. Pushing the gaze further on you recognize the Langhe, from Barbaresco to Alba, the Tanaro plain and, if the weather conditions permit, the mountains.
Eat & Drink
On the hill slopes of Guarene the main cultivations are grapevines and fruit plants. In these vineyards are produced prestigious wine such as the Roero Arneis, the Nebbiolo, the Dolcetto and the Barbera, while among the numerous varieties fruits we can find the Madernassa pear.
For nature lovers
The Eco Museum of Rocche del Roero promoted a series of theme paths which allow you to discover the beauty of the territory. From Guarene is it possible to undertake many naturalistic paths such as the “Acino path”, which valorize the countryside and the orchards. From the vineyard ridges you can enjoy the landscape of the native land of Roero Aocg and Roero Arneis Aocg.