“Who, moving from Guarene, a land which rises a short distance above the towers of Alba Pompea, sets out on the road, which turns north, as soon as it has turned the western side of the S. Licerio hill, which is seen rising in front a small and charming village. Castagnito is the name of it, a name undoubtedly due to the chestnut trees, of which in ancient times its surroundings had to be planted, and of which although there were no traces left today, however, the peaks of several hills not far away were crowned … “( Valentina di Sant’Andrea- history of Piedmontese life)
Made up of two clearly diversified environments – plain area and hilly system – the Castagnito area presents more than one reason of interest. In addition to excellent wines, Castagnito offers the visitor typical and quality fruit and vegetable products. Dominating the concentric of Castagnito there is the relief still today called “the castle”. Today the top of the relief, placed above the Town Hall in a valuable panoramic position, is called “Castelverde” and has been used as an equipped area.
Toponymical references attest to the presence, in antiquity, of Roman funds: Serviliano and Dusiano. In the late 10th century, the Monastery of San Pietro di Breme was established in the area. The priories of S. Quirico, S.Maurizio, S.Maria di Soarme and S.Pietrodella Serra are at the center of modest settlements. Gradually the abbey of Breme loses ground, reducing itself, over a century, to some plots. At the end of its power, the families of the bishop’s castellans divide their jurisdiction. In 1299 the Roero family acquired half of the fiefdom. In the subsequent divisions Castagnito remains divided between the Roero di Vezza, Monteu and Revigliasco. Following the wars for Monferrato and a period of possession by Don Felice di Savoia (between 1629 and 1644), the fiefdom came entirely to the Roero di Vezza and Guarene.
The building that stood on the top of the concentric is already mentioned in 1074, and was dominated over the centuries by the various branches of the Roero, a noble family from Asti who in the medieval period acquired a large part of the territory that today bears his name. It was a fence with a moat and a wall, with a tower inside at the highest point, which never had residential functions. Today there is no trace of the defensive construction, but the panoramic point of “Castelverde” is a pleasant equipped rest point.
SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA
Parish church built in 1674 on the site of the demolished church of Ss. Quirico and Giulitta. Keep inside a canvas of Moncalvo.
Chiesa deiDisciplinanti, next to the parish church, was built in 1708.
Circular church with pronaos, built in refined baroque lines at the beginning of the 18th century, is located on the road leading to San Giuseppe di Castagnito and has the particularity of being slightly sloping.