The name originates from the Roman family of the Cornelii, masters of these lands: in fact there are many Roman objects and gravestones found in the area.
Since its origins it is a country that boasts a strong mercantile vocation linked to fairs of local agricultural products, including fishing and the “favouriteCorneliano” grape from which a delicate white wine is obtained. Precisely the grapes and peaches are linked to the important tradition of the basket makers, with a renowned reputation outside the local borders until the 1930s.
Corneliano stands along the path of the ancient Roman road that connected Alba to Turin. Becoming fundus of the gens Cornelia (hence the name), Corneliano took on a certain importance only from the XII century, when, with the advent of the Free Municipalities, its strategic importance for the control of the territory was rediscovered. Thus a castle was built on the hill above the town. Following the long wars of the early 1500s, the inhabited centre and the nearby castle were partially destroyed: today the latter remains only the decagonal tower and the remains of the retaining walls.
THE DECAGONAL TOWER. Located in an elevated position on the town, it is 22.34 meters high and is a significant element that identifies Corneliano. Together with the remains of some defensive walls, it is what remains of the castle built by the De Brayda family between the end of the XII century and the beginning of the XIII. Today it houses the Torre di Corneliano ONLUS Foundation.
THE BOW. Quoted from 1588, the arch is thought to have been placed at the entrance of the “new door” since 1300. The current painting represents the coat of arms of the House of Savoy in the year 1815, after the fall of Napoleon. Arco
SS. GALLO AND NICOLO ‘. Parish church
erected on the site of the previous parish church further upstream in 1748,
based on the initial project of Count Carlo Giacinto Roero, consecrated in
beautiful Baroque forms in 1773. Inside there is a holy water font from the
14th century, a wooden crucifix from the 15th century and paintings by Pietro
Paolo Operti and Rodolfo Morgari.