Piobesi is located on the Alba-Carmagnola provincial road. Over the years, the town has become one with Cornelianod’Alba. A short distance from Alba (5km), Piobesid’Alba is the smallest town in the Roero, both in terms of territory and number of inhabitants. The country is characterized by a strong wine vocation and in the area there are numerous companies that produce excellent DOCG, renowned distillates and truffle-based products.
Agricultural centre, Piobesi is among the production centres of Barberad’Alba and Roero wine.
In 1900 the AnticaSibona Distillery was founded there. Until 2001 the Nutkao confectionery company headquarters were located in Piobesi.
The proximity to Alba Pompeia and the transit position saw man appear at an early age, as evidenced by prehistoric and Roman finds. Starting from the 11th century, the territory passed under the control of the lords of Montaldo; subsequently the investiture of 1292 sees the De Brayda in possession of the “castroseu monte” of Piobesi, above the already formed nucleus of the Bricco. The De Brayda family ceded the feud a few years later to the Malabaila family, originally from Asti. A sensational turning point occurred around 1392 when, the De Braida supported by the “de Baldissero”, attacked the castle of Piobesi, driving out the Malabaila. The long dispute will be resolved only in 1468, when the “de Baldissero” sell their half of the country to the Damiano. Coexistence with the Roero family does not appear at all disturbed, and after the abolition of feudal privileges, the Damiano sold their share to the Roero family (1881).
WHAT TO SEE
S. Pietro in Vincoli. Nothing preserves the ancient parish church mentioned in 901, if not fragments of the previous buildings walled outside. These include a stone slab with Latin crosses and arches with plant elements and decorations. Inside you can admire paintings on the wall and canvas, dating back to the second half of the 19th century.
S. Rocco. Baroque church, rebuilt in 1769. Unknown is the date of construction of the primitive church, but from the name and presence of a fresco and a canvas representing S. Rocco and S. Bastiano, it is assumed that it was built as a propitiatory act that placed an entrance into the villa under the protection of the supernatural, mediators the saints invoked against the plague.
Church of S. Maria al Bricco Madonna Immacolata. It was built on the slopes of Bricco around 1400. Subsequently, in 1605 becoming a parish church, it was rebuilt larger with the addition of a bell tower to meet the needs of the population. The frescoes in it date back to the second half of the 19th century and are by the painter Macocco di Vezza.