Camerana is named for the first time, as a property of the Church of Savona, in the certificate of Ottone III (967) “Cum decimationibis de Cameriana”, in which it is written that the rents of the parishes are given to Bernardo, bishop of Savona. In this document it is mentioned the existence of a stronghold, located as a defence of one of the main routes between the Ligurian coast and the hinterland, the so called “salt route”.
In the Middle Ages Camerana saw processions and pilgrimages which witness the faith of the population during the centuries, inhabitants were strongly bounded to the country life and partly it is the same still today. All the chapels and the oratories spread all around the territory are an important proof of the population faith. In particular, we can mention the route where arose the Pillar of the Foresto (lit. stranger) and the “Sosta della Calcinera”, two places of the Salt route, as witness the path called “la salinera”, which links the area of Costa to the Settevie crossroads, on the border among Camerana, Mombarcaro and Monesiglio.
The existence of this fortification dates to the X century. It is mentioned for the first time in 967, when, in a document about a donation in favour of the church of Savona, it is mentioned a defence building. It seemed to be a little fortification to defend the area, its importance is linked to the strategical position among the main communication ways between the Ligurian coast and the Piedmont hinterland. For a long time the building had been a property of the marquis of Ceva, until 1268, when it passed under the lead of the marquises Del Carretto, who boosted it up. They created almost it from new, maintaining the squared tower, which is visible still today. The castle changed property so many times and then, in 1458, it came back to the first owners, who turned it in a real castle. He passed under the lead of the marquis of Saluzzo, Monferrato and to the count Boarelli Incisa, who provided a restoration to repair the damages suffered due to the fight between the French and the imperial troops. In 1887 a terrible earthquake damaged the castle and the marquis Incisa gave it to the municipality. The building was demolished in 1930 and only the tower was conserved and restored in the 80s. It is, still today, the symbol of the village and from the top (30 metres high) you can enjoy a breath-taking panorama on the Bormida valley and on the hamlet of Villa.
Sport: Pallone elastico
It is not possible to identify all the places in Camerana where people played this game. Until the 50s this discipline was so famous that, during holidays, every place could become a sport court. The most important sport facilities were those located in località Gabutti and in Villa, even if they were too little to be considered “important structures” , they were always crowded anyway. Currently, unfortunately, the pallapugno is no longer played.