The name Gorzegno has a Latin origin: it comes from “Cohors Aenni”, the garrison of Ennio, a Roman centurion posted in this area. Few ruins remain of the ancient castle built in 1500 by Alfonso Del Carretto.
Few ruins that emerge from a hill reveal the ancient history of this small village in the Bormida valley. The stone ruins belong to the castle which was erected by the Del Carretto marquises in medieval times and subsequently renovated in 1587, when it became a sumptuous residence full of halls decorated with marbles and stuccos of great value. The castle was then damaged by the war events that took place in the area and not even the various restoration attempts were sufficient to bring the building back to its ancient beauty. Until 1860 it continued to be inhabited but was subsequently abandoned because impractical.
Today Gorzegno offers the visitor some rather suggestive and interesting churches and churches. We remember the parish church of Santi Siro and Giovanni Battista, the chapel of Santa Maria delle Vigne, the church of San Martino and finally the church of San Giovanni whose construction dates back to the XII century.
In May the chicken festival is celebrated.
And the mayor’s gamble of Gorzegno is new this year: Langa stone and “balon” to “give a future to these hills”.
The administration of the young mayor Marco Chinazzo in fact aims to revitalize the small centre of the Bormida Valley with an ambitious project of tourism initiatives: from the “village of talking stones” to the “Festival of Magic”.
The 43-year-old wine producer at the head of the team of administrators – all from the first experience – who since last May has taken over the reins of the small Langarolo town hall (260 inhabitants) has elaborated an articulated project with which, he explains, “we want to give a future to the our country, make it known beyond our borders, enhance a historical-architectural heritage which, starting from our castle, otherwise risks the definitive decline “.
A first step to get there will be the inauguration, scheduled between On Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st May, of the “village of talking stones”, a journey along the streets of the country which will be open 365 days a year: “It will be an open-air museum that will put visitors in front of works capable of speaking to anyone, to a scenic system of lights and colours that will transform the Gorzegno basin into a kind of magical treasure chest, capable of enchanting those who pass through that of the provincial road that connects the Plain Padana al Ligurian Sea”.
The route will gradually incorporate existing stone works, which in this way will be enhanced for their historicity: among these the columns on the facade of the town hall, once the support of the arches of a noble palace, or the lintels of some houses, where symbolic images and words are carved that testify to the antiquity and importance of the place, which was an imperial fief until 1715.
A second part of events will take place between July and August, with a pallpugno tournament in “pantalera” that will involve the municipalities of the area, with the idea of inviting delegations of players from Italian towns to Gorzegno where similar variations of the “balon” are still practiced to those who still live between Lower Piedmont and Western Liguria.
On the other hand, the third tourist initiative planned by the Administration is scheduled for the beginning of September, which will propose the first edition of the “Magic Festival” for the end of summer, a series of events capable of “involving the viewer by transporting it to a magical dimension, which is well suited to the Alta Langa because of its historical, cultural and environmental characteristics of this territory”.
A village in full revival!