The story tells that in 1170 Gottasecca was a fiefdom of the marquisate of Ceva and then, due to its strategic position, it passed to the Del Carretto, the Marquis of Monferrato and from the Sforza to the Savoy.
The name of the village is linked to the drought of this area of the high Langa, which has always been low in water. Its position is dominant with respect to the Bormida and Uzzone valleys, being located on the watershed ridge of the two rivers.
Interesting, from an artistic and monumental point of view, the tower and the remains of the castle. Not far away, to see the sanctuary dedicated to the Assumption, surrounded by greenery.
Located on the ridge between Gottasecca and Camerana, probably on a crossroads of ancient road routes between the Langhe and Liguria and between the Bormida and Uzzone valleys, the Gottasecca sanctuary can be reached by traveling a couple of kilometres with a panoramic road through the woods.
Today completely isolated (next to it we find only a farmhouse intended for the hospitality of pilgrims), the church has very ancient origins: it was in fact one of the 16 parish churches of the Diocese of Alba and is mentioned in ecclesiastical documents since 998 as “Sancta Maria de Gudega “.
Nothing remains of that first construction today, except for some traces in the foundations of the bell tower and evidence of burials that came to light during the course of agricultural works. The building was in fact completely redone in the seventeenth century, with the beautiful facade decorated with eight pilasters and the interior with a single nave, with side altars completely decorated with fine stuccos, which present a variety of absolutely unusual shapes (columns, angels, motifs). plants, landscapes, religious symbols, grotesques); the main altar is also interesting.
Unfortunately, in recent years numerous thefts have deprived the Sanctuary of all the “removable” paintings and furnishings.
The village festival is held in mid-August in honour of the Virgin.